Monday, October 09, 2006

Canadian Football League Day of Reckoning (and other Thanksgiving News)

Today is a big football day. Canadian football. Which is related to American football, not European football. And also related to rugby. As usual, my favourite team is doing nothing but stinking up the field.

I will be napping soon. We had a very successful family visit, with no discomfort or unpleasantness. But I am very tired. And I hours and hours of coursework to do for the classes I am taking, plus overtime work to take care of before tomorrow. Nap first.

I am proud of how I handled all of the pregnancy-related questions that I had to deal with. I answered them. I didn't get upset. Hooray for me.

The Babe was performing tricks. Bouncing little feet against the top of my belly. And the ultrasound photos that were given to us two weeks ago were a big hit.

Near the end of the visit, one of my family members told me of two of my third cousin's current pregnancies. Cousin A has just learned that her baby has an omphalocele and now must make a decision of how to continue her prenatal care, whether she will terminate (highly unlikely), where to deliver, etc. Cousin B has learned that her life-long liver disfunction could easily lead to a terminal heart condition in her developing baby.

I don't know how to feel about this. I guess I am just not surprised. And I am sad about that. I am sad that I am a person who has learned to expect the worst and am surprised when I learn that a baby has lived. I have to admit that I don't feel sad or worried, etc. etc. I just sort of feel like more dead babies are inevitable.

Dealing with my own anxieties - I had a weekend of slightly scary moments. I had horrible intestinal distress at 5 a.m. yesterday morning, making me worry about preterm labour (again - I have no history of this...why am I so crazy about it?). My Doppler saved my sanity until it was time for the Babe to get up and get moving.

Then I survived my first set of fetal hiccups. Fetal hiccups lasting longer than 10 minutes, occurring regularly (like daily) are a sign of cord compression. C. had hiccups constantly in those last weeks. The Babe started at about midnight last night. I lay there in bed, holding still. Making sure I could feel that rhythmic, light movement. Watching the clock. 6 minutes. Safe. Normal. Don't panic.

23 weeks is when the neurons that control the hiccups are developing. So I need to expect that Babe will be hiccupping more in the next few weeks. I will be the neurotic woman in the corner, holding the stopwatch.

5 comments:

Rosepetal said...

Hooray for surviving the family function. I'm sorry about your cousins' babies. "23 weeks is when the neurons that control the hiccups are developing." It's sigh-worthy to think you have to know all these details. One woman I know who had her baby in June didn't even realise she was pregnant until 20 WEEKS. And still had a healthy baby. I knew at about 3 weeks.

kate said...

Congrats for surviving the holiday! I am sorry about your cousin's babies. You should send your cousin with the omphalocele baby to Rach's blog & o. yahoo group. I am sure she will get alot of information and support there.

Anonymous said...

I feel hiccups all the time. We're the hiccups ladies.

Anonymous said...

I know this post is old, I just came across it at random reading about others run in with stillbirth. My son was stillborn at 41 weeks 3 days just 8 weeks ago on Christmas eve here in Halifax, NS and we don't have any answers yet at all, not sure if we will get any. Doctor said it was a cord accident "likely" although there is no proof of this, midwife says, that's what all Unexplained Stillbirths" are categorized as. Anyhow I was surprised to hear this bit about the hickups as my son had the hickups a couple times a day for the last 3 months of his development, I never timed them as I never ever heard anything about them being potentially a sign of cord compression, can you tell were you learned of this so I can look into it as well. Thank you. I have been blaming his stillbirth on Tylenol as I had sciatic pain like you would not believe and was taking 6 Extra Strength Tylenol a day for the last month of his life and when the pain got worse and I couldn't move at all at 41 weeks my OB put me on Tylenol 3's saying they were perfectly safe and I would only need them a couple day til I go into labor, then 4 pills in, my son died. So its logical that I would make that association although the medical professionals keep telling me there is no way that is it. Thanks so much for any direction you can give me.

erotic impregnation stories said...

To stifle her protest, he sent histongue down her throat then had his way with her tits and pussy, gettinginside the clothing to assault naked flesh. Also from Washington, Wired News columnist Declan McCullagh, and on the phone, the man in question, Michael Collins.
free erotic sex stories with pictures
femdom hoh petticoat punishment spanking stories
free woman beastiality stories
incest stories free
brother sister incest stories
To stifle her protest, he sent histongue down her throat then had his way with her tits and pussy, gettinginside the clothing to assault naked flesh. Also from Washington, Wired News columnist Declan McCullagh, and on the phone, the man in question, Michael Collins.