Sunday, August 31, 2008

Possibly the world's most boring post.

Well, it seems as though my work firewall doesn't like Blogger. I can read from work, but I cannot seem to log in to post or to comment. They are working on the network, so maybe this is temporary, but I am not sure what to do with myself on my coffee break. It is cramping my style.

I put up 20 pounds of peaches, 10 pounds of plums, and made 10 pints of applesauce. I think I am done preserving for the season. "to put up" - where does that phrase come from and why do we use it in reference to home canning? I should post a photo of the peaches - they look pretty. The peach rum sauce is to die for:

  • 6 cups diced peaches
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 3/4 cups rum
  • Simmer for 20 minutes, ladle into sterilized half-pint jars, process in canner for 10 minutes (for elevations less than 5oom; add 5 min for each increment of +500m).
  • Eat on ice cream. Try not to hurt yourself when you swoon.
Really, there is little new here. We did the classic Labour Day weekend thing, and sat in the cold and rain watching our favourite CFL team win. Then we came home. Now I am read to sleep.

We are all working our way through a cold that came home from daycare.

My baby isn't very small anymore.

I'm tired.

The End.

2 comments:

kate said...

WOW i am so impressed. I am serious. I canned tomatoes one year, and nobody ever even opened the jars because they were afraid they would die of botulism for all my trouble. We threw them all away when i moved. So i will never do it again.

Cara said...

I can EVERYTHING every year because I married into a family who considers it a "must". Let's see -I freeze summer squash and zucchini. I can tomatoes, green beans, carrots, tried cucumbers and jelly (I really suck at those), and my absolute favorite (It takes a freekin long time!) CORN. God bless you for doing fruit, I just can't get the hang of it!

Seriously, though I am a fellow soul who lost my first, stillborn at 40 weeks. We have gone on to have two more, but Emma is just always here and not here at the same time.

I look forward to backing up and reading your story.