Monday, September 24, 2007

The Odds

This weekend, disaster struck again and my other cousin's wife miscarried. It seems that both brothers will be marking that April due date in the same way.

I sent a care package of books and a sympathy card to Cousin A. I will send a sympathy card to Cousin B tomorrow. I don't have more books to send, so will have to ask Cousin A to pass them to Cousin B when they are done with them.

I wish that I could say that I am surprised and shocked. But, like it or not, I live in a world where the surprise comes when a baby lives. I am so sad that my cousins now know this sorrow. I much preferred feeling jealous of their naivete to sharing in their sorrow.

Reminded again how fairness has nothing to do with it.

8 comments:

niobe said...

How is it possible that I know -- or know of -- so many people who end up on the wrong side of the odds?

BasilBean said...

I'm so sorry that both of these families have suffered a loss.

You are right, fairness just isn't a factor.

Julia said...

So sorry to hear of yet another loss in your family. Yeah, there is no freaking fairness.

The Goddess G said...

I am just so sorry for this. Keeping these families in my thoughts.
~Carole

Rosepetal said...

I'm really sorry. Our deepest fears proved right over and over again...

Lori said...

I am so sorry. I know though that both of your cousins will be grateful for your kindness and understanding.

msfitzita said...

I'm so sorry. And yeah, fairness is something I no longer believe in at all.

Megan said...

Delurking to say I'm glad your cousins have you.
It's odd, I don't know ANYONE in real life who's had a single loss, just people whose babies turned out OK against terrible odds.
My SIL is pregnant with a baby due days before the baby I just lost.
I know, without a doubt, the baby will be fine.