Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Choo-choo

Could anyone care less about my last posts? Honestly, I can hardly care less. When I find a moment to read other blogs, it generally make me feel rather shameful about my own.

My Ravelry invite arrived. I only had time to sign up. I have no idea how to work the thing yet. I will keep you posted (because maybe one person cares, right).

In a knitting related theme, I was thinking about how Joan Sutherland would sit and knit between her scenes during rehearsals. I was contemplating how I could work some of that into my life - what would be my equivalent of knit-one-purl-two-slip-one-knit-two-together, stand up and blast off some high C's, then settle back into the pattern...?

And it hit me. The last time I seriously contemplated this (because it has come up before), I was frantically stitching a gloriously fluffy boucle blanket for a boy who didn't ever come home. I knew I had mere weeks to finish it. Those weeks were actually days and the blanket was never finished. Now it lies tucked into the casket of a tiny boy; an unfinished blanket for a boy who didn't even get to start.

It always takes me off guard how a seemingly simple and uncomplicated train of thought can so easy turn into a train-wreck.

6 comments:

Cara said...

I don't knit or crochet or quilt, but my mother does. She makes quilts for each of my children, starting them long before they arrive and finishing them only after their birth - with their tiny embroidered names and dates.

She stayed up until 4:30 am the night Emma arrived to finish so my sweet girl could be wrapped in it within her casket.

I am sure she has those moments as she is searching for fabric and happens upon a scrap of Emma's.

And, BTW - totally care what you have to say - every time -regardless the topic.

Catherine said...

Yeah, I get this. I'm having a hard time completing Myles' blanket because it reminds me of two other blankets...

kate said...

I care about your last few posts! And look at my latest -- a picture of my pumpkins. Not exactly substantive.

(((((hugs)))) for the train of thought....

Ann Howell said...

I just wrote a very similar post (about sinister trains of thought), so I can sympathize. It's lovely that you had something so personal to put with your sweet baby boy, even if it wasn't finished. I hope that starting a new knitting project gives you some comfort along with the understandable sadness. (((Big hug)))

msfitzita said...

RAVELRY??? I'm on Ravelry!! Come find me! (It's not hard...)

P.S. I'm sorry about the train of thought. Sometimes I jump out of the boxcar to avoid where I know the tracks are headed.

Julia said...

So I didn't know it until two months ago, but my sister was knitting a blanket for A. When he died, tt was in a state where she didn't think it was fit to give to me. So after she put the blanket down, and didn't knit anything at all for over a year. She wanted to finish the blanket for the Cub, but didn't know how to deal with it. Eventually she figured out that she had more yarn than she needed, and she finished the big blanket, and then made the miniature copy of it for the memory box. I love my sister.