Sunday, March 04, 2007

Can you believe it?

So, remember when my GP referred me to the only RE in our area? The letter arrived in the mail this week. My appointment to see this RE is scheduled for the end of JUNE. Yes, well, my son will be 6 months old by then.

Any Canadian readers will have heard about the wait lists in our medical system ad-nauseaum. Other readers - how's that for prompt consultation? Typical of free health care, I'm afraid.

I am saving the letter. Maybe to show BB some day. To think: if we were still waiting to see the RE, we would have spent over two years "trying" without even a consultation.

One more reason that I give thanks for BB every day. Our chance.

Tomorrow I will call and cancel and open up my spot on the list.

2 comments:

Ann Howell said...

I had to wait almost 2 months to see an RE and I thought I had it bad! Granted, I'm in a major city, so maybe I just got lucky. Overall, I've had very good "free" healthcare, I must admit. It's certainly better than that of the uninsured south of the border. I shudder to think how much worse it could be!

Rosepetal said...

I grew up with a free health care system (in the UK) and now I live where there is a private insurance-driven health care system. I think I get better care here than in the UK, but I also pay through the nose for it. It's hard to find a balance serving the majority of the population.